Do Your Own Research
Use of the Library and Archives is by appointment only. If you would like to arrange a visit to the Library to carry out your own research, please note the information below.
Identification is required to use the Library. Please bring one of the following with you:
- Driving Licence
- University Library Card
- Friends of Firepower Membership Card
- RAA Membership Card
- MoD Form 90
Library Opening Hours
The Library is open Tuesday to Thursday from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
Making an Appointment
Visitors are required to make an appointment to enable the appropriate research material to be prepared and assembled. Visitors conduct their research in the David Evans Reading Room of The James Clavell Library, using the material assembled by staff. An appointment is for one person only, unless by prior arrangement.
Please write or telephone to make an appointment:
The James Clavell Library
Firepower The Royal Artillery Museum
London SE18 6ST
Telephone: 020 8312 7125
Conditions of Using the Research Room
Visitors must have one of the methods of identification as above and sign the Visitors’ Book to acknowledge their acceptance of the Conditions for using the Research Room. An extract of the conditions is shown below:
Knives and other sharp or edged implements are not permitted
Children under the age of 12 are not permitted
Laptop computers may be used, subject to conditions
There is no public access to the Library or Archives storage areas
Fees for use of Research Room Facilities
The standard charge is £5 for a half day or £10 for a full day, per person. Use of the facilities are however free to the following users:
- Serving members of the Royal Artillery and other British Armed Forces
- Members of the Royal Artillery Institution
- Members of the Royal Artillery Association
- Friends of Firepower
- Bona fide students and staff of recognised schools engaged in research as part of their teaching or studies towards a recognised public examination (GCSE, AS and A levels)
- Bona fide students and staff of recognised CNAA colleges and universities engaged in research as part of their teaching or studies towards a recognise public examination (degree, diploma, GNVQ)
- Ministry of Defence and other Government Departments for official research
- Photocopying: A4 – 20p per sheet
- A3 – 30p per sheet
- Whole books and documents likely to be damaged by photocopying will not be copied. Large quantities will attract a handling charge.
- Photographic reproduction is available, standard charge per image is £10. A further £35 permission fee is required for publications.