Field of Fire
Find out what it is really like to be a modern Gunner in war time. The Field of Fire brings you the artillery in action and reveals the tragic events, great bravery and humour through the eyes of those who were there.
Four massive screens show archive film and documentary footage; re-living desert and jungle warfare, anti-aircraft guns defending London in the ‘Blitz’ and the bombardment of the beaches in the Normandy landing on D-Day. To bring your imagination alive smoke fills the air, searchlights pick out artillery surrounding you and the sound of exploding bombs shake the floor.
The following equipment features in this 15 minute presentation:
• 2-pounder anti-tank gun in the Western Desert
• 3.7-inch heavy anti-aircraft gun in the defence of the Home Base
• 105mm ‘Priest’ self-propelled gun in the Normandy landings
• 3.7-inch howitzer in Burma
• Auster air-observation aircraft in Korea
• Honest John nuclear rocket system used in the British Army of the Rhine during the Cold War
• 8-inch M110 self-propelled gun used in the Gulf War
• 105mm Light Gun used in the Balkans